Originally intended just as a good way to keep bookmarks online (in the days before del.icio.us) but has evolved into collections of things that intrigue me.....or are just plain daft.

Mostly the latter.

Blog Roll

www.flickr.com

Archive

Latest stumbles

Monday, November 29, 2004

BBC NEWS | UK | Obituary: John Dunn

It's not every day I turn on the radio and hear of the passing of someone I've actually met.

Don't worry, this isn't a bid to bandwagon jump or claim fame by association. I met him once about 20 years ago. My Dad used to do a lot of promotional work with BBC Radio 2 and for a time had a regular spot on John Dunn's program. Consequently, one evening I found myself in the studio at 5:55 pm (5 minutes before air time).

We were introduced. He immediately recognised my surname and asked after my Dad. I've no idea how many new people he met daily but I suspect it was a lot and I was impressed that he could recall names and people so easily. He broadcast to 3 million people for two hours every day and I was just some kid - he didn't need to impress me or even pay much attention to me - but he eagerly invited me into his studio to show off some new technology they'd just installed.

It was a CD player. He was thrilled with it and his enthusiasm was infectious. I was listening to him explain how it would save time when cueing up the records when I glanced at the clock.

"Mr Dunn, you're on in a minute.."
"No, it's OK, don't worry..." he was playing with the CD tray "...see how this works..?"
"Maybe I should go? It's 30 seconds"

He saw that I was a bit nervous and we shook hands as I thanked him for his hospitality. He cheerfully waved goodbye as I slipped out the door just as the red light came on. The he turned round and started chatting to 3 million other people in exactly the same friendly way he'd just been chatting to me.

It takes a special kind of person to do that. And not many of them manage to be such gentlemen while they're doing it.

posted at 9:19 AM
permalink
       

Post a Comment


to top

Listed on Blogwise

<< Blogging Brits Webring >>
British Blogs.

Powered By Blogger TM